Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Road Trip Ahead

Guten Morgen, Freundinnen!  Es ist draußen geschneit! Ich bin sehr glücklich!

First snowfall, seen from my bedroom window
Anyways, in a few hours, I will leave home on a six-hour drive to a Christian convention.  We're going to stay at a friend's house and will be gone for a few days.  Expect post delays.

However, at a local school where I am taking a few classes (the rest is homeschool), we have made some little figurines out of clay and glaze.  For the season, we made clay jack-o-lanterns.  We had the option of making three small ones or one big one, and I chose the three.

Went for for a Tim Burton-esque kind of thing.
Sad faced/sewn-up mouth one.  I wanted to do something depressing but cute.

Did not turn out the way I wanted it, but still as creepy as I imagined it.
Another one, an effigy of a kitty that I call Ryuzaki, will be uploaded in a future post.  Eventually, I will work up the courage to publish some chapters from my book.  I was writing a scene yesterday, which involves some awkward romance, and I looked at it and thought "I have no idea how to do this."

So, I seek some help.  My words are beginning to slow down and I was wondering if maybe you guys could help me out here.  I deeply appreciate your comments and I hope to find the time to look at your blogs!  When I do publish my chapters, please, please, please let me know what you think.  I'm a struggling writer!

I will be on here again in due time.  Once again, Guten Morgen.

-Snowprincess

3 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    What a pretty snowfall! I live where it snows, just like you, but we haven't gotten any snow yet. Interestingly, I was homeschooled most of my life too, but now I attend a local private school. Homeschool FTW!:) Those jack-o-lanterns you made are so cute! My favorite one is definitely the scary one; it looks really cool and you are a very talented artist!

    Hmmm...about writing awkward romance scenes. I'm no expert, but I'll try. One thing I find extremely helpful is detailed, almost obsessive outlining. Basic outlines help a lot when you're getting the major points of your story down, and when you're having trouble with a scene, it can help a lot to make a very detailed outline. Explain to yourself what you are trying to convey with the scene, the part/role it plays in the overarching plot, what the characters motivations are, and the kind of reaction you want your audience to have to the scene. Try to think like a psych major, analyze all of the characters' emotions and motivations. Think about the personalities you have created for your characters thus far and try to create a scenario and emotional situation that fits what the characters' personalities have been like so far.

    Going further, with romance...think about what kind of 'awkward' feeling you're trying to create. Is it funny awkward, where the characters can laugh about it? Angry or distressed awkward? Humiliating awkward, where you just want to crawl under the table? Sweet awkward that makes you feel warm and mushy? Honestly it just depends on the context and the character's personalities. Place, time, situation, and such also should be considered. If your hero and heroine are in a situation where they might be killed, the romance might be a little more 'desperate' in feeling and would have a tone of urgency, while if they are relaxing on a beach they might fumble and have more time to actually sort out what they are feeling. Personally I prefer 'romance under pressure' as there is no other way to get characters to work together than threaten their lives with the same thing.

    Also, what are the stakes? Is this love forbidden, or approved? Are the characters taking each other seriously, or it is more casual? Do they have prior experience with romance, or not (if they don't the awkwardness factor goes up). Really, it depends on a lot of different factors, but don't give up! Sometimes going and writing something else can kind of give your creative juices time to fill up again. I hope this helped a little!:)

    In Christ, and many well wishes,
    Towa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Towa! I think all of my pumpkins are cute, but the scary one turned out well, actually. It always lifts my spirits whenever I get positive comments on my art, and I'm sure this also happens to everybody else. :)

    As for the "awkward romance" I am depicting in my novel, it is the fluffy, sweet kind of awkward. The one that is sort of embarrassing but makes you want to snuggle your stuffed animals and grin because it's so stuffed with fluff. It's just that I've never really written this before and I'm having trouble keeping it in the same ideas I wanted them to.

    The characters' love is not exactly forbidden or approved, just looked down upon and seen as a rather peculiar thing. One of the two lovers is a human girl and the other is a male fairy. Neither of them have had a romantic relationship before and neither of them know how to deal with this new feeling, so of course there will be bumbling moments. I think you're right: I should just think it through completely and never stop trying. Thanks for the advice!

    With love,
    Snowprincess

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're more than welcome, and you totally deserve the praise! I know few things make me happier than when someone leaves an insightful review on one of my written works and the like.

    Sounds like fun!:) I can't wait to read your novel, whenever you choose to begin posting it-it sounds like an adventurous, fun ride. You're more than welcome, and I'm glad I was able to help a little bit! If you ever want to talk more, my fanfiction.net name is Darksabre35.:)

    Cheers,
    Towa

    ReplyDelete